Monday, June 30, 2008

The Memory Game

When Angel and I took a road trip many many moons ago, she taught me this really weird memory game. Here is what I remember:

One person says it, the other must repeat it starting at the beginning every time.

1 duck
2 geese
3 hen
4 corpulent porpoises
5 limerick oysters
6 dozen pairs of Don Alversos tweezers
7 thousand Macedonian warriors dressed in full battle array
8 brass monkeys from the ancient sacred crypts of Egypt
9 sympathetic apathetic diabetic old men on roller skates having a marked propensity towards procrastination and sloth
10 Lyrical, Spherical, Diabolical Denizens of The Deep who haul stall around the corner of the quay, the quo and the quivey, all at the same time.

Crazy! But it works. When I went through a 3 week course from the Marines to become a Marine Combat Instructor of Water Survival (MCIWS) we had to swim 50 meters under water in order to graduate. Its a tough task and 90% mental. The Instructors told us look straight down (not to the end of the pool where you have to get to), relax, slow steady movements, and think of something or sing a song to distract your mind. I used the memory game and I made it to the other side of the pool before I finished!

No comments: